Denied Boarding Claim
- Did you know that 5%-10% of passengers fail to turn up to their flight
- Did you know that airlines regularly over sell the seats on their aeroplanes to maximise revenue
- Did you know that thousands of passengers are denied boarding because of over booking
- Did you know that airlines can stop you from boarding for security or health reason?
Why was I denied boarding?
It is becoming more and more common for airlines to sell more tickets on their flights than there are seats based on the assumption that some of those passengers wont turn up. Whether you see this as sheer greed on the airlines part or just sensible revenue maximisation if you are the one denied boarding you wont be going anywhere that day.
Other reasons for being denied boarding can be issues with your travel documents and visas, if the airline considers you to be a risk to other passengers due to illness or security. What they cant do is arbitrarily select you to be denied boarding without asking all of the other passengers to surrender their seat. Potential benefits for those willing to surrender their seat include:
- A seat on an alternative flight
- Vouchers for free flights in the future
- Free food and hotel accomodation
If you choose to take up their offer note that you will not be able to claim compensation for denied boarding as this would waive your right to denied boarding compensation. If not enough passengers offer their seat then the airline will randomly select people to be denied boarding; Exceptions to this tend to include the elderly, those with mobility issues and children.
Denied boarding entitlements
If the airline denies you boarding against your will through no fault of your own then you have 3 options available to you:
1. A refund of your ticket within 7 days
2. To be booked onto another flight with the same or alternative airline.
3. A ticket to your destination on an agreed date
In adddition to this the airlines should provide you with a meal and refreshments to cover the duration of your delay, hotel accomodation if the delay is overnight along with transport to and from the hotel. Even if the airline finds you an alternate flight you can still claim for denied boarding compensation if your expected arrival time is over 3 hours.
How Much Can I Claim For Denied Boarding?
If you think you are eligible for denied boarding compensation the amount you could receive will depend on the distance you travel.
Distance less than 1,500km i.e. London to Edinburgh
Distance between 1,500km and 3,500km i.e. London to Athens
Distance more than 3,500km i.e. London to Dubai
You are not entitled to denied boarding compensation in the following circumstances:
1. You didnt check in on time according to the airlines website/boarding pass
2. You didnt get to the gate in time
3. You didnt have the appropriate travel documents required for your destination
4. You presented as a security/health concern
Why claim with us?
- Industry experts with over 5 years experience
- No Win No Fee - if your claim is unsucessful you dont pay a penny
- We are not middlemen! We have a dedicated team of professional lawyers to assist you
- Over £1 million pounds in compensation claimed in the last year alone.